This is a delicious grain free recipe to start off the new year with! I got this recipe from my friend, Tiffany, who is a wonderful mother, amazing artist, and all around great friend ♥ Be sure to check out her work here, or swing by my place and check out some of her original art up my walls!
The original recipe for these scones can be found here, on Tiffany’s blog – Art, Food and Motherhood. I'm not posting the original on my blog as I’ve changed the recipe a bit, so why make everything confusing?!
Although these are called scones, they are not like a traditional scone in any way! They’re much more like a soft chewy cross between a scone and cookie.
The recipe posted below works great regardless of the size of scone you decide to make; we prefer them bite sized (be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly).
Cardamom and Date Scones with Almond Flour
2 cups almond flour*
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 large free range egg or even better, 1 large free range organic egg!
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup organic dates**, chopped into tiny pieces in a food processor
1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp. whole cardamom, ground (this is about 1.5 tsp. when its all ground up)
1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt or other salt rich in minerals
* I buy my almond flour at www.nuts.com
** I buy my dates and other dried fruit www.tierrafarm.com
1. Combine the honey, vanilla and egg - I use a Kitchen aid stand mixer
2. Add in the ground cardamom, baking soda and chopped up dates. The dates will be a sticky mess when you get them out of the food processor, but they combine really well with the other ingredients when using a stand mixer.
3. Add in the almond flour and mix to combine.
4. Scoop equal portions onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 345F for 10-12 minutes or until they just start to brown.